Haven Has a New Chef
Photo by Steven Krause
Haven restaurant in Jack London Square has a new executive chef.
SoCal native Matt Brimer's past gigs include Le Charm and Bizou in San Francisco with Jen Biesty, and Coco 500, where he worked closely with Loretta Keller. After serving as sous chef at Bin 38 Wine Bar & Restaurant and then Maverick in the Mission District, he went on to open Central Kitchen with Ne Timeas Restaurant Group, then Ame in the St. Regis as executive sous chef.
Now living in the East Bay with his family, he's joined the Daniel Patterson Group (DPG) to helm the kitchen at Haven - whose daily-changing California-cuisine menu spotlights seasonal, local produce sourced directly from farms and purveyors.
Brimer will maintain the waterfront restaurant’s house-made charcuterie program along with in-house pickling, curing, fermentation and whole-animal butchery.
Some highlights from his new menu include:
• Wagyu Beef with Smoked Potato Pave, Scarlet Turnips, New Onions and Yuzu Kosho
• Monterey Squid on the Plancha with Meyer Lemon, Celery Hearts and Fermented Chili
• Smoked Mt. Lassen Trout Rillette with Horseradish, Pickled Beets, Creme Fraiche and Dill
• Brassicas with Smoked Egg Yolk, Bagna Cauda and New Onion Soubise
• Lemon Verbena-Cured Fluke with Fennel, Granny Smith Apple, Meyer Lemon and Puffed Quinoa
New to Haven's extensive bar program is DPG’s Barrel Aged Society.
A three-course prix fixe menu is available Sunday through Thursday for $49 per person and a four-course menu is available Friday and Saturday for $65 per person.